Monday, July 5, 2010

A Made Bed is a Simple Luxury


I gather that most people do not make their bed in the morning. Many of us simply roll out of bed and stumble toward a cup of coffee with no intention of spreading up the sheets. I never made my bed as a child, I don't think I was even encouraged to do so by my parents. So how is it that as an adult the first thing I do in the morning is to make my bed?
Years ago, a woman shared with me that her mother told her that she would have a bad day if her bed wasn't made before leaving for school. That seems a little like a threat and I've never been motivated by threats. I do however remember this every time I make my bed!
A more sensible means of motivating to make a bed goes like this. Your bed takes up the largest area in a room. So, making up a messy bed will make a room look tidy. This is true. And it makes a good case.
Although I may ponder these two pieces of "motherly advice" as I make my bed, neither is the reason I do it. The truth is that people pay good money to have their beds made. I recognized after so many years of making beds that I too deserved to be met at the end of my day by a beautifully made bed.
I make my bed in the morning for these reasons. I want to create an environment of care and order in my bedroom. But more importantly I make my bed because I deserve it. For me making my bed is an act of self love.

1 comment: